MAINE: my final frontier. These are the voyages of the Scooter Vespa 250 i.e. Super. Its continuing mission - to explore America's most heavily forested state - to roam the vast coastline, numberless lakes, and mighty mountains. To boldly go where no scooter has gone before!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Summer Sunrise - because I can

I had trouble sleeping last night, and since I was still awake at 4 AM, I decided to visit Fort Allen Park in Portland to watch the sunrise. I've rarely had the opportunity to see a summer sunrise; most of my life, I've worked afternoons and nights.

But last October, the manager of the gas station where I pumped gas part time decided to shoot me in the face with a pellet gun. I quit on the spot and haven't worked since. It's a long story, but far from boring, if I do say so myself. (Prospective employers frown on heavy-set older gentlemen walking with a cane.)

SO - at 4:30 AM, I was able to simply ride out to the coast. No one was expecting me anywhere - maybe good things come in small, pellet-sized packages.




When I rode up to the Eastern Promenade, a field of gulls was waiting for the sunrise. Good thing I ride a Vespa - a Harley would have sent them all to Kittery.


The seagulls and I didn't have to wait long. Sunrise was at 5:07 AM.




I felt like Seth, the angel played by Nickolas Cage in "City of Angels." Angels gathered by the hundreds on the beach to watch the sun rise everyday, just to see a master artist at work. Maybe that's what kept the gulls grounded. The beauty of the sight kept me riveted.


At the west end of the Eastern Prom is the Major Charles J. Loring, Jr.Memorial Park. Dedicated to Major Loring as "a place to take some time to remember our fallen heroes – who sacrificed their lives for mankind everywhere," the park overlooks Back Cove and Baxter Boulevard.



Major Loring, a Portland native, was a pilot in both World War II and in Korea. Shot down in WWII, he spent time as a POW. He died in a bombing mission over Korea; Major Loring was awarded the Medal of Honor “for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk at his life above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy.”




A view toward Portland from Loring Park.


Part of the Deering neighborhood of Portland.


Looking back on downtown Portland from Baxter Boulevard, named for six-time Portland Mayor James Phinney Baxter. 


Another view of Baxter Boulevard, a four-mile long road and walking path around Back Cove.


The sun is up, the air is brisk, and I think I can sleep now.




2 comments:

  1. I'm envious of the coastal landscapes in which you find yourself riding. The reference to City of Angels is compelling and I find moments here when it feels that way.

    Keep riding. I'm waiting to see your Vespa along a rocky coast with storm surge waves crashing ashore. Perhaps in the fall...

    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Maine 4 times and loved every minute there. Your coast is incredible. We've driven there in a number of different cars, and once rode there on a Goldwing. Sunrise at Cadillac mountain was fantastic.

    Thanks for blogging about your rides!

    ReplyDelete