MAINE: my final frontier. These are the voyages of the Scooter Vespa 250 i.e. Super. Its continuing mission - to explore America's most heavily forested state - to roam the vast coastline, numberless lakes, and mighty mountains. To boldly go where no scooter has gone before!

Friday, November 18, 2011

Lost and Found

I envy people who know where everything they own is located. If I make it through a day wasting no more than 15 precious minutes seeking that which is not lost, but merely hidden from my sight – I’ve had a good day.

Once I asked Kathy, my highly organized wife, “Where are those pictures I took when we went the lake before Danny was born, back in – what was it – 1976?”

After two seconds of pondering, Kathy answered, “You took three rolls of film. Two black and white, just one color – it cost three times as much as the black and white. Only 31 of the regulars came out, but all 24 of the color.”

She looks dreamily into the air, remembering the trip in perfect, complete detail.

“Marvelous,” I said, impatient and clueless. “But where are they?”

Pleased that her knowledge exceeded her husband’s – again – she said, “If I remember correctly – and I do – you’ll find them in the box labeled ‘Tom’s photos at Sebago.’ The box is on the top shelf in the basement, just past the boxes of ‘Skinny Pants’ you’re determined to fit into before you die.”

So, you can imagine my pleasure when I discovered dozens of digital photos taken last summer, without help of guidance from anyone.

Here’s what happened: When I started “Scooter by the Sea,” I put the text and photos in a computer folder named “SS.” But I discovered that I needed a home for my Social Security documents, so I started filing my pics in a new folder named “SbyS.”

Unfortunately, I left several folders of summer trip pics in the “SS” folder. By a lucky chance, I found them when I opened the “SS” folder, wondering what might be in it. So, all by myself, I found something I hadn’t even realized was lost!



This is my mid-July trip to Limington, to a recreation area on the banks of the Saco River.



Following a delightful lunch of chicken, salad, and a Diet Moxie, comfortably cool in the shady woods, I crossed this bridge to the river.


Actually, that's a lot of bridge for the string of puddles it crosses in the summer. But come spring, every inch of height and length will be needed. 


From the end of the bridge, the river is in view.


Interesting contrast between the rapids and the little pool.




Note the stairs leading from the river to a home hidden in the trees above. Ideal location, if one lacks the millions needed to live right on the coast. I have a foolish dream that one day, people will flee the rising waters of global warming, leaving prime coastal living to the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment