MAINE: my final frontier. These are the voyages of the Scooter Vespa 250 i.e. Super. Its continuing mission - to explore America's most heavily forested state - to roam the vast coastline, numberless lakes, and mighty mountains. To boldly go where no scooter has gone before!

Friday, November 16, 2012

"Lincoln"

I just returned from watching the first showing of "Lincoln" in Maine. In my opinion, students and lovers of American history will be astounded by the film. Even the younger crowd will thoroughly enjoy "Lincoln;" it is simply a fascinating film.

 

For me, it was a step or two beyond thrilling to see Abraham Lincoln so realistically portrayed. Back in the fifth grade, the biography of Mr. Lincoln was one of the first I read - right after Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb.

 

One odd thing about the lobby of the theater - there was just one line, waiting to buy tickets for the new Bond movie, the latest "Twilight" vampire flick, and "Lincoln." Each appeals to a different age group, so the long, meandering line held old people, young people, older folks, kids, younger kids, and a few wicked old geezers.

 

All of us seemed to be staring at one another, not believing that that old fart is going to see "Twilight;" no way that punky, goth kid cares about our greatest president; and I know that almost dead old man is going to have a heart attack within the first 15 minutes of "Skyfall!"

 

Well, it all got sorted out at the doors to the various auditoriums. And this isn't a movie review. It is a sincere statement of the opinion of a life-long student of American history, in particular the Civil War, and especially, A. Lincoln: this is as good as a film about that time, and those people, and that singular man, that we are likely to ever see.

 

 

 



 

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for your opinion on the movie. I've been wondering what it was going to be like.

    And I don't think you could force me at gunpoint to see a Twilight movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trobairitz,

    Kathy and I are going to see it tomorrow - it's one of those movies one should see multiple times to get all the meat from it. Like hearing a favorite song over and over, or like hearing Beethoven's 5th a thousand times, some films require repeated, thoughtful viewings to get the whole picture.

    So tomorrow will be my second time with "Lincoln" and undoubtedly not my last.

    Regarding "Twilight:" I saw one of them, and the computer graphics were spectacular. But without decent actors, an interesting story, and a touch of common sense, it comes up wanting in my book.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see that scene in the line ups...

    I want to see Lincoln at the cinema, but I know I'll cry 3/4 of the way thru it. I don't like to cry that much in public. I know it's well written and acted and the battleground scenes will remind me of so many Whitman poems. And of course, we know the ending of the story.

    I guess I'll wait for the DVD and get in line for Skyfall. I'll be the older chick in a black leather jacket and funny hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha,

    Don't be too concerned about tears - you will not be alone! I watched it today, for the second time, and I was off to the rainy races in the very first scene - just as I was yesterday. Kathy came with me today, and she too was deeply moved, as were each and every one in the crowd.

    And, in my opinion, this is a film best enjoyed on the big wide screen, sharing the experience with people who will weep right along with you.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you are right that this deserves the big screen. I may just take some tissues and go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,

      A couple boxes of tissues should be enough. I needed two hankies, and both colars of my fleece jacket.

      Tom

      Delete
  6. I am eager to see this film too!

    I'll be sure to observe the crowd milling about in the lobby beforehand as I want to try to see this one on the big screen.

    I'm certain I will buy the DVD when it comes out too.

    Do you think the casting of Lincoln's character was appropriate? Did they pick the right actor to portray this remarkable man?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb,

      According to several movie sites, Lincoln will be released on DVD next March. Regarding the casting, Daniel Day-Lewis is remarkable in every aspect of Lincoln's appearance, character, speech, even the lumbering way contemporaries said that the tall, thin man walked.

      Tom

      Delete
  7. My lovely Sue and I went to see it after the Turkey day dinner as well. Your right, it was powerful and moving and very realistic - the blankets draped around everyone's shoulders to help ward off the cold in the days before central heating was a nice touch. My only issue was I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the relationship between him and his wife played out. Mary Todd Lincoln's life is one of the great tragedy's in America's history.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert,

    I'm glad to read that someone else agrees that Mary should have a more prominent place in the story of Abe Lincoln. While many historians actually state that he'd have risen to the top without his harpy, harrassing spouse, the more thoughtful ones state that Mary, bright and articuate and well-educated, was the push he needed to achieve greatness.

    Now that Spielberg has opened the door, perhaps he or another worthy director will dig deeper into that blessedly mismatched couple.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew I was going to see it and now thanks to Comments here, I will do what I rarely do these days and and see at the cinema. Thanks for the push Tom.

    ReplyDelete